songs

songs

fun

fun

news

news

friend fun

friend fun

Wild At Heart

Monday, August 22, 2011

She’s a magnetic actress, a mother, a British rocker’s love, and, with this month’s launch of her Chrome Hearts Collaboration CH + KH, a jewelry designer. April Long talks to Kate Hudson about her decidedly charmed life

I am so sorry,” says Kate Hudson, as she voraciously chomps on a mouthful of ice cubes. “I just have this unbelievable craving….” When we meet, the actress is due “pretty much any minute” to give birth to her first child with fiancé Matt Bellamy, the lead singer of British rock band Muse, and she’s been having an insatiable urge to chew on ice. “I haven’t been able to feel my mouth for weeks because it’s so numb and so cold!” she says, laughing. “I’m going to have the baby, and all my back teeth are going to be worn down.”

Hudson may have, as she says, “entered the uncomfortable stage” of pregnancy, but she has yet to slow down. Just after wrapping up promotional duties for her latest film, Something Borrowed, she unveiled a jewelry collaboration, CH+KH, with her friend Laurie Lynn Stark, co-owner of the L.A.-based jewelry brand Chrome Hearts. The pair first met at a Rolling Stones concert when Hudson was 16; years later, they bonded when they were both expectant mothers—Hudson with Ryder (her son with ex-husband, Black Crowes singer Chris Robinson), Stark with twins. Since then, they’ve shared countless family vacations, and it was on one of these getaways, in the Bahamas, that the idea for their new venture was born. “It occurred to us,” Hudson says, “we spend all of this time together—why don’t we make something?”

CH+KH’s line, which is a departure from Chrome Hearts’ signature heavy-hardware biker aesthetic, harkens back stylistically to the 1970s vintage pieces that Hudson collects. The collection’s centerpiece pearl-and-gold seashell necklace, for example, was inspired by an heirloom choker that Hudson’s mother, Goldie Hawn, gave her on her twenty-first birthday. (“It was one of the first pieces I ever remember my mother wearing,” she says, “and it was like, Wow, I hope one day I get to wear jewelry like that.”) Stark says the line also reflects the actress’s bohemian spirit. “We used a lot of aquamarines because Kate loves them, but to me they also evoke her personality. She’s so open and light.

For those times Hudson does feel “off balance,” she turns to Hawn for guidance. “We’ve definitely had lots of talks about parenting and being a working mom,” she says. “She never hands out unsolicited preachy words of wisdom, though. My parents allowed my brother and I to have our freedom and be ourselves and feel confident in our choices and to make mistakes without too much judgment.” She cracks a last chunk of ice. “I hope that I can do as good a job.”


0 comments:

Post a Comment